Saturday

Garden Cabbage and Vegetable Beef Soup


Garden Cabbage
I love gardening just about as much as I love sewing.  Both produce such rewarding results. Every year I try to plant something new and different in my garden.  This year the new includes cabbage and the different includes tomatillos. It hasn't been a very warm summer so I'm not sure when I will see tomatillos, however the cabbage is doing great.  As you can see from the photos, my first head harvested is a very nice size. 
So it's time to make some soup. Between my garden and the farmers' markets, I have some beautiful produce and there's nothing like a nice vegetable beef soup for a light supper. This is an easy recipe and since the soup doesn't take much more than an hour to make, the vegetables are still firm, preserving their fresh taste. I serve it with some nice artisan bread.

Vegetable Beef Soup
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and chunked
  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, diced
  • 2 small bay leaves
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
  • 3 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
  • 2 small Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 1 cup frozen peas
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to pot; sauté until outside is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.  
Add carrots, chopped onion, chopped garlic, and bay leaves. Sauté 5 minutes.
Add the beef broth, tomatoes with juice, cabbage and potatoes. Bring to a simmer.

Partially cover the pot and simmer until beef and vegetables are tender, about 50 minutes.
Stir in corn and peas; simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Vegetable Beef Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment