Making Fabric Labels
Making the square fabric labels is pretty easy. First, I insert a table in Word, then enter the text for my label and add a little graphic. In the cell of the table, I then manipulate the text to the desired font and font size then center the text and graphic at the same time. After that, I copy and paste the cell into all the other cells. Using the borders and shading option, I make a cute little frame around them, then made the cell borders invisible and then they were ready to print.
In order to print them on fabric, I use a laminated sheet of eight and a half by eleven sheet of paper. Since I am too frugal to actually buy it, I made the laminated sheet by putting strips of packing tape on the paper. It was nice and stiff and slippery. I then cut a piece of muslin a little smaller than the fake laminated paper and using masking tape, I secured it to the sheet. Then I just ran it through the printer. I did have to give it a little shove since it was somewhat thick. After I let it dry for a few minutes, I took the muslin off the sheet and applied Heat N Bond lite to the back and cut the labels out.
I use my old rotary cutter for all these paper cutting projects, so I don't ruin the blade on the rotary cutter I use for fabric. Ok, so this was much more putzy than I thought it would be.
I then attempted something new. Iron-on t-shirt transfer sheets. Again, with the Word program, I made a table and added my name and logo and saved the file. All I had to do then is use the mirror setting on my advanced printer settings to print out the labels on the t-shirt transfer sheet. Only one problem...my Canon ip4200 does not have a mirror image setting. Crap! I thought I would try using my husband's all-purpose printer. Since we are all networked together, this would be easy to accomplish. I just had to choose his printer from my list of available printers and open the advanced settings and viola! - there it was, the mirror image setting. Hooray - progress.
Of course, I would print out a sample sheet on plain paper to make sure it was going to work before using up a sheet of expensive t-shirt transfer stuff. But wouldn't you know it - his printer was out of ink. Grrrrr! So he generously ran out to Sam's Club and bought more ink confessing that he should have done this quite a while ago.
I admit it's a little frustrating when I'm gung-ho on getting a specific task done. Even though I can fill my time with plenty of other little projects, I really wanted to get this one done. Once the ink cartridge was replaced, it worked like a charm. I printed my page of mirror image labels and ironed a few on the twill tape I bought just for this project.
They turned out great!